Monday, January 18, 2010

IRL Review: Anthropologie Akebia Dress

I saw the Akebia Dress in store and had to try it on. Jake was with me and was a total enabler and strongly, strongly encouraged me to get it. The reviews on this dress have been rather interesting to read and somewhat harsh.

Now for my thoughts. First of all, this dress has a long exposed zipper in the back, which is not my most favorite kind of zipper, but these seem to be everywhere these days. The material itself is very soft 100% silk that does not seem like it will wrinkle too much. The bottom three tiers give some definite flounce to the dress, which I tried to capture in some of the pictures below. It also has some ruffling in a vertical line at the bust. The dress has an elasticized seam a bit under the dress which gives it a bit of an empire style. This dress is fully lined in a red acetate and very well made. I inspected it carefully and could detect no flaws in the workmanship.

The dress is way sleeveless so to wear it to work I would almost certainly have to wear a cardigan. I found it to fit true to size. And, can I just say how relieved I am that Anthro is finally starting to carry some longer dresses and skirts? This 5'8" lady is grateful. I should note when I tried this on in store I was wearing riding boots and it definitely "toughened up" the girliness of the dress (can you tell I read Lucky magazine? that is something the mag likes to say) in a pretty cute way. The colors are vibrant and, in my opinion, not garish, but fun and cheerful.

I took three different phases of pictures for this review. Phase 1 features the Prairie Rose cardigan, partially buttoned over the dress. This gave it a bit of a cinching effect at the waist. And yes, I did a bit of a shimmy to show the movement of the tiers.



Phase 2 is the same cardigan over the dress, but unbuttoned. Here you can start to see the elasticized seam that runs a bit under the bust.


Phase 3 is just the dress. I couldn't wear this to work without the cardigan because the sleeves are too narrow and I just would not feel covered up enough. This look would only be for a night out or weekend wear. I did another shimmy to show the movement without a cardigan. Plus, it's just fun to shimmy every now and then! In these pictures you can really see how the dress has more of an empire style to it. I think I like it best when the cardigan gives it a bit more shape. I suppose you could do a wide belt with this, like the Snakebite Belt, but it might conflict with the seam under the bust. When and if my belt is ever delivered off of back order I might have to give it a whirl, assuming by then I have not talked myself out of keeping the dress.



Jake loves this dress but like the pessimist I am, I can look at myself in it and see a million flaws. Sometimes I wonder how I ever make it out the door clothed, I am that critical of myself. What about you? Love it or hate it?

20 comments:

  1. I love it! I think it's a keeper--it looks wonderful on you. I really like how you paired it with the Prairie Rose Cardi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks great on you! A keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be critical, you look lovely. I like the colors on you too!

    Though I understand. I am 11 days post delivery and wonder why I can't fit into my skinny jeans. Sometimes I hate the media.

    Oh, and I would love to see this dress toughened up with the boots. I love boots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the dress is super cute on you!

    i wish my husband was an enabler!! ha. he's definitely not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like it. I also love that Anthro is making a few longer dresses and skirts. I think this dress looks perfect on you with the flats and I'd also love to see it with the boots! I think it would look cute "toughened up" with a field jacket or jean jacket too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this dress on you!! Consider me an enabler! I saw it in the store but I didn't try it on but after seeing it on you now I will. It looks really versatile and can be winterfied by even wearing tights now. Can't wait to see it with boots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks great on you. I say it's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a new reader to your blog and I must say that I love it!
    I do have a question...I am 5'8" wear a 40C, 12 pant with a tummy, and I have never really had any luck with Anthro dresses. What brands have you found work the best for you dress wise at Anthropologie?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the dress on you! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes - keep it! It looks great on you! I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anon! You and I are about the same size. My bust is a 40d and my skirt/pant size is a 12/14 or l/xl depending on the brand and cut. I also have a post-baby pooch that will not go away no matter how much weight I lose, how much I exercise, or how many crunches I do. I too have struggled to find dresses at Anthro that fit well. I am 5'8" as well and lately everything has been a tad too short for my comfort level.

    So, I tend to look for dresses that are at least 36" long and skirts that are at least 21", since I also have a long torso. Anything shorter and I feel too exposed.

    I find I do best with the dresses that are pull-on. Or, for zip-up dresses they need to have some sort of ruching or empire detailing. Lately, however, I have been having great luck with every single Moulinette Soeurs dress I have tried on (the Akebia dress is this label). They seem to be cut well and I have no problems zipping them up, regardless of the cut of the dress. I've got the Odille All Seasons Shirtdress on order and will do a review when it comes. I'm hoping it works out, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like this on you as well. It's pretty and girly, but the ruffles and print don't overwhelm you. Definitely keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The dress makes YOU look awesome. You seem to have a lot of fun wearing it. Definitely a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like it too -- it's pretty and I think the colors are great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like the perfect dress for work and easily converts for some nightlife in the evening. I think it's definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this dress looks great on you! I like it with and without the cardi. Definately a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can I ask you what size you got the Prairie Rose cardigan in? I'm really on the fence - I want to buy the gray one but I just can't justify it for full-price. I keep watching for it to get marked down but it seems like it never will... ugh! Anyway, it looks great on you and I just wondered if it fits tts or big/small. Thanks!

    cwolf715@aol.com (Sara) :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like it with the cardigan on but unbuttoned. It shows off the dress' details without covering up the top layer of the dress (which I love). It would be a great piece to wear if you're working but want to go out afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for reviewing this dress. I never gave it a second thought and now I love it. It is on my wishlist!!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and look forward to hearing your thoughts and perspective. To that end I do reserve the right to remove any comments I deem to be spam, junk, inflammatory or offensive, or for any other reason I deem necessary.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...